5 Tips for dealing with TOXIC PEOPLE
How do we deal with toxic people in our lives? I offer up 5 tips on how to better manage those relationships that leave us feeling worse rather than better.
1. Set boundaries! I know that this is can be really hard to do and many of you have told me that you feel mean or bad for doing this. Trust me, you will feel so much better once you have set up some limits as to when you will talk to them and how long you will be around them.
2. Asserting ourselves and telling them what we need. This doesn’t mean we are being rude or mean, it just means we are clearly communicating what we need to them in hopes that they will hear you and change the way they interact with us.
3. Use your support system! Those people who love us and support us and make us feel better… yeah them! Spend time with them so that you can recharge your batteries and take care of yourself.
4. Model the behavior that you want to see from the toxic person. This may mean talking about what’s going on with you and then acknowledging that you have been talking for awhile and it’s time to hear about what’s going on with them. You could even go as far as explaining that you prefer it when your conversations are not just one sided.
5. Lastly, cutting them off. I know this can sound harsh, but if you have tried the other things and they have not worked to correct it, it may be best to just cut them off. I can honestly say that as I have gotten older, I find less and less time for those emotional vampires. I prefer to be around people who build me up, not tear me down, and so cutting them off completely may be the healthiest thing you can do.
I hope you found this information helpful. I know how hard it can be to have toxic people in our lives, especially if they are a parent or long term friend. I know doing some of these things is hard, but please take the time to try them out. It may be awkward in the moment, but trust me, you will feel better later on! xox